Enfield vs Coggeshall Town


Emirates FA Cup 2023-2024

The RDA StadiumBishop\'s Stortford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, England, United Kingdom

Coggeshall Town
2 - 0
Final Score


The RDA Stadium

Bishop\'s Stortford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, England, United Kingdom


Enfield got their season off to the perfect start with a 2-0 victory over Essex Senior League side Coggeshall Town in the FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round. Aaron Greene opened the scoring midway through the first half as the E’s dominated. Jamie Cureton’s men doubled their advantage after the restart through Sam Bantick, who scored with a fine finish. The result means the E’s will face Leighton Town in the next round.

With just two minutes on the clock, the home side almost took an early lead. Marcus Milner’s cross found Roman Campbell in the middle, who headed the ball back off the crossbarbefore Sam Bantick struck over on the rebound. Meanwhile, up the other end, Coggeshall threatened for the first time, but Alfie Gilbey’s long-range effort was comfortable for ‘keeper Jarvis Monk.

However, in the 20th minute, Enfield broke the deadlock. Aaron Greene slid the ball into the path of Bantick, whose delivery came back to Greene, who took a touch before firing home. The perfect start for the home side. Moments later, the visitors almost responded straight away. Finn Wilkes crossed towards the head of Jack Zielinski, who beat Monk to the ball, but his header was cleared by Jack Grosvenor.

The E’s had a massive opportunity later in the half to double their lead. Midfielder Godfrey Poku played an exquisite through ball to Campbell, who lobbed goalkeeper Aaron Cassie, but his shot was over the bar. On the stroke of half-time, some excellent build-up play resulted in Alex Warman setting up Campbell, who saw his effort blocked.

Six minutes into the second half, the home side doubled their advantage and in some style. A long ball from defender Jamie Dicks fell perfectly to Campbell, whose first time cross reached Bantick as the forward’s looping effort found its way into the back of the net. However, despite trailing 2-0, Coggeshall were looking for a route back into the game, but Zielinski’s strike was off-target.

Enfield continued to play some excellent football and almost added a third. Milner crossed the ball towards Bantick, but his effort drew an excellent save from Cassie. From the resulting corner, Danny Norton headed over the bar. With 14 minutes to go, the away side almost halved the deficit, but Gilbey’s curling effort was tipped over by Monk.

In the closing stages, Alex Warman almost capped off a fine E’s performance in style as his strike on the edge of the area was saved by the goalkeeper. However, it did very little to dampen the mood as the E’s ran out 2-0 winners to progress to the Preliminary Round of the FA Cup.


Enfield: Monk, Milner, Dicks, Warman, Gipson (Gebrai 66’), Grosvenor, Greene, Norton (L. Johnson 73’), Campbell, Poku, Bantick (Hirst 70’)

Goals: Greene (20), Bantick (57)

Subs not used: Bransgrove, Mubiayi, Bishop, J. Johnson

Coggeshall: Cassie, Wilkes, Olagunju, Duffin, Pugsley, Marian, Soganile, Keys (Tyrell), Zielinski (Pheby), Gilbey(Sain), Pegrum

Subs not used: Farmer, Lloyd, Millett


Referee: Billy Morgan

Attendance: 240

Man of the Match: Aaron Greene