Enfield defeat Takeley to pick up first away win of the season

Enfield made it three league wins on the trot after comfortably seeing off Takeley 4-1 at Station Road. The E’s dominated the match early on and took a deserved lead thanks to striker Dwade James to continue his excellent goalscoring form. Later in the half, the away side made it two as Alex Warman slotted home to give the E’s a 2-0 advantage at half-time.

After the restart, Enfield continued to threaten in front of goal and made it three thanks to Olly Miles to surely wrap up the three points. As the match headed towards the latter stages, Takeley pulled a goal back through George Frodsham. However, in the final minute of the game, the E’s restored their three goal lead as Miles netted his second goal of the evening to ensure it ended Takeley 1-4 Enfield.

With just two minutes on the clock, Enfield were close to breaking the deadlock after an attempt from David Cowley deflected wide for a corner. From the resulting set piece, Warman’s delivery fell to defender Jack Grosvenor, who headed inches off-target. A few minutes later, the away side came close again after Reece Conway played an excellent ball through to James, but his shot was inches wide.

However, with seven minutes played, the E’s early dominance was rewarded as they took a deserved lead. The ball was played down the line to full-back Alfie Mason, whose cross came off defender Charlie Dobinson and straight into the path of James who comfortably slotted home. That goal from the striker was his third in as many games and one that made it Takeley 0-1 Enfield.

Meanwhile up the other end, Takeley had their first opportunity of the evening. Coby Miles played the ball through to Mike Laronde but his attempt drifted wide of the target. Nine minutes later, the home side were close again as Elliott Long’s free kick crashed off the underside of the crossbar. Midway through the first half and the away side came close to making it two. The original attempt from Miles was blocked before the ball fell to the captain Conway who shot wide.

Shortly after, Enfield were again close to doubling their lead. Cowley delivered in an excellent free kick towards the head of James, but it was off target. With 33 minutes played though and Jamie Cureton’s men made it 2-0. Following a scramble inside the penalty area, the ball reached the path of Warman, who slotted home into the bottom corner.

Just before the break, the E’s continued to be a threat as Miles played the ball to Jack Folan, whose attempt deflected out for a corner. From the resulting corner, Grosvenor came close again as he headed over. That was the last opportunity of the half as the E’s went in at the break two goals to the good and comfortably in front. Enfield were the much better side in the first 45 minutes and looked very much on course for the three points.

Three minutes into the second half, the away side almost made it 3-0 after Callum Ibe squared the ball to the goalscorer James but his attempt was blocked on the line. The striker was close again just moments later, but he was denied by goalkeeper Sam Soutar. However, on 55 minutes, Enfield put the game beyond the reach of Takeley as the ball fell into the path of Miles as his low driven effort snuck into the bottom corner past the goalkeeper. A tidy finish from the forward to make it Takeley 0-3 Enfield.

With just over an hour played, Miles pulled the ball across goal though it was cleared away by the Takeley defence. Enfield once again dominated the match and on 72 minutes nearly scored a fourth. The corner was delivered in towards Grosvenor at the backpost before James’ header was well kept out by Soutar. However, in the 81st minute, the home side managed to pull a goal back as substitute Frodsham headed home past the goalkeeper to give them hope of a comeback.

Despite Takeley scoring, the away side were looking to restore their three-goal advantage and almost did so as substitute Louie Johnson played the ball to Miles as his curling effort deflected off-target. Not too long after that, Warman’s free kick was headed on by James to Miles as he was denied by the goalkeeper.

As the match approached the 90th minute, Miles scored his second of the match and his sides fourth of the evening. The ball was played into the path of the striker, who took it down well before volleying into the roof of the net. An excellent finish from Miles who capped off a perfect night for the E’s as it finished Takeley 1-4 Enfield.

The result moved Jamie Cureton’s men up to 6th in the table with 12 points from a possible 18 and six off top spot. Next up for the E’s is a trip to Brickfield Lane on Saturday to take on Hadley in the FA Cup 1st qualifying round.