Early goals enough for Enfield to defeat Stansted

Enfield returned to winning ways with a convincing 2-0 victory away at Stansted. Aaron Greene made the early breakthrough for the E’s before Solomon Ofori doubled the visitors advantage inside the opening ten minutes. The away side were very much in control of proceedings and despite not being able to add to their lead, held on for the three points.

With just four minutes played at Hargrave Park, Enfield broke the deadlock. Ofori headed the ball into the path of Greene, who found space on the edge of the area before slotting into the bottom corner. A composed finish from Greene and the best possible start for the E’s.

It didn’t take the visitors long to double their advantage as five minutes later, Ofori added a second. Tom Hanfrey played the ball out wide to Kieran Bishop before setting up Louie Johnson, whose strike came back off the post. However, Ofori was in the right place at the right time to poke home the rebound. Enfield almost added a third on 12 minutes afterBishop’s cross was met by Alex Warman, who headed over.

The E’s were very much on top and continued to threaten in front of goal but Ofori was unable to guide his header goalwards. Meanwhile, up the other end, Stansted had their first effort on goal of the afternoon, but Carl Conway couldonly head wide from Billy Coyne’s corner.

In the closing stages of the first half, Gavin Cockman slid the ball through to Ofori, whose shot was well-defended by the home side. Enfield went in at the break 2-0 in front after a dominant performance and in full control following the opening ten minutes.

Five minutes after the restart and the E’s continued to be the better side. Ofori capitalised on an error from Ryan Ramsaybut was unable to slot home from a tight angle. Meanwhile, Enfield came close to making it 3-0 in some style. The ball fell to Johnson from outside the box who took a touch beforestriking a spectacular volley wide of the target.

With nine minutes to go, Enfield almost secured the three points, but Cockman could only head over. A few minutes later, the visitors continued to push for a third goal. Substitute Jeffrey Cobblah crossed towards the feet of Ofori, who struck his effort wide. However, despite not adding to their lead, Enfield held on for a huge three points to maintain their lead at the top of the Essex Senior League.