Match Report: Leighton Town 1-0 Enfield

It was a disappointing afternoon for Enfield, who crashed out of the FA Cup at the Preliminary Round stage with a 1-0 defeat away at Leighton Town. Following a quiet start to proceedings, the home side found themselves in front in the latter stages of the first half thanks to a strike from Albie Hall. Enfield improved after the restart but were unable to find a way past a stubborn Leighton defence. Despite the hosts going down to ten men, the E’s were unable to find an equaliser as they exited the competition.

The opening stages of the first half proved to be very cagey as neither side were able to conjure up an effort on goal. It wasn’t until the 27th minute where the game had its first effort on goal which came from the home side. Finley Brennan’s corner fell to Luke Pyman at the backpost, whose shot struck the side netting.

However, on 36 minutes, Leighton broke the deadlock. Louie Barrett played the ball to Albie Hall, who shrugged off the challenge of Jack Grosvenor before sliding the ball into the bottom corner. A well taken goal from the hosts but Enfield had it all to do. The E’s went in at the break a goal behind but had 45 minutes to turn things around.

At the start of the second half, striker Sam Bantick was brought on in place of Luke Hirst with the E’s in search of a route back into the game. The away side almost equalised on 57 minutes. Jarvis Monk’s long ball fell into the path of Roman Campbell, whose effort was saved by Xavi Comas. A few moments later, the ball was crossed into the middle to Grosvenor, who headed wide of the target.

Enfield continued to push for a leveller after Marcus Milner slid the ball into Bantick, but the forward was denied thanks to some last ditch defending from Leighton. Meanwhile, up the other end, the home side nearly doubled their advantage through Pyman as his header sailed over the bar. With six minutes to go, Leighton were reduced to ten men as Ethan Flanagan was shown a second yellow card for an off-the-ball incident.

However, despite being a man light, the home side nearly sealed the victory in added time as substitute Jack Sayell’s strike was kept out by Monk. Enfield, on the other hand, continued to threaten an equaliser but it just wasn’t to be and following numerous missed opportunities, Leighton managed to hold on for the victory to progress. A result to forget for the E’s though.


Enfield: Monk, Milner (Gebrai 74’), Gipson, Grosvenor, Greene, Norton, Campbell, Poku (Warman 79’), Arthur, Hirst (Bantick 45’), Dicks

Subs not used: Bransgrove, Mubiayi, Bishop, J. Johnson

Leighton Town: Comas, Joyce, Sage, Simpson, Flanagan, Powell, Barrett (King 64’), Pyman, Quigley (Sayell 73’), Hall, Brennan

Goals: Hall (36’)

Subs not used: Hatton, Burnside, Blackmore-Reid, Heeps