A disappointing afternoon in Hertfordshire for Enfield saw the E’s drop points following a 1-1 draw away at Hoddesdon Town. The away side took the lead in the second half through Alfie Mason before the Lilywhites responded thanks to a goal from substitute Harrison Cage, meaning the points were shared.

After last Saturday’s 1-0 victory over Stansted, Jamie Cureton made one changes from that game. Captain Reece Conway was suspended having accumulated too many yellow cards with defender George Essuman taking his place. This resulted in Tyler Corlett being moved into the midfield three.

The match got off to a slow start with neither side creatingmuch in front of goal. On six minutes, the first shot on goal fell the way of Enfield but Corlett’s strike from distance was shot way off-target. Meanwhile, six minutes later, Hoddesdon created their first opening as Josh Stevens was denied from close range by Emanuel Nwosu.

It wasn’t one of the most exciting starts to the game as neither Hoddesdon nor Enfield were able to provide much of a threat going forward. However, in the 19th minute, an excellent delivery from Vinny Murphy fell the way of Alfie Mason, who played the ball to Dave Cowley with the midfielder’s attempt being blocked.

Midway through the first half, Enfield were looking the more threatening after Toby Barlow played Kieran Bishop through on goal, who raced away from the Hoddesdon defence before being tackled off the ball. Shortly after, a free kick from Jack Cousins fell to Essuman, whose shot deflected into the side netting. The resulting corner was crossed in by Mason towards Corlett, who headed wide.

Up the other end, the home side had a rare sighting of goal after the ball was played through to Stevens, who struck the ball into the side netting from a tight angle. That ended upbeing the final attempt of the half as the score remainedgoalless at the break after what proved to be a dull half of football.

Six minutes into the second half and Hoddesdon had an opportunity to break the deadlock after Connor Bolton cut in on the near side before firing wide of the target. However, in the 58th minute, Enfield took the lead. Corlett delivered in the ball towards Mason at the backpost, who poked home to make it 1-0. At long last the breakthrough at Lowfield.

With just over an hour gone, the E’s had an opportunity to make it 2-0. Bishop rolled the ball into the path of Roman Michael-Percil, whose shot was wide. However, on 70 minutes, the home side founds themselves level. The cross from Stevens fell to Harrison Cage at the backpost, who was there to nod home from close range.

Three minutes later, Hoddesdon came close to taking the lead after Stevens was denied by Nwosu before seconds later, Archie Locke’s effort was kept out by the goalkeeper. The momentum was beginning to go the way of the home side, who were close to going in front. Blue Gallagher’s corner reached Jack Lee who could only head wide.

As the match headed towards the closing stages, the Lilywhites almost stole all three points. Stevens, the provider for the equaliser, was played through on goal but could only strike off-target. A big opportunity missed as the match ended in a 1-1 draw which was a fair result for both sides.