E’s thrash Sawbo to record eighth straight league win

Enfield maintained their five-point lead at the top of the Essex Senior League following a comprehensive 6-0 victory over Sawbridgeworth. Ibrahim Kehinde and Louie Johnson gave the hosts a 2-0 lead in the first half before a rampant second half ensured the E’s would continued their perfect home record.

The home side made a strong start to proceedings and were unlucky not to have taken the lead on 15 minutes. Reece Conway’s cross fell to Kehinde, who headed wide before moments later, Gavin Cockman was unable to latch onto Samrai Gebrai’s cross.

Midway through the first half, Enfield were edging closer to scoring after Kehinde’s effort from outside the area was well saved by ‘keeper Jimmy Parker. However, Kehinde wasn’t to be denied again. The forward made a remarkable solo runbefore keeping his composure and rolling the ball home.

It didn’t take long for the E’s to threaten once more as Conway’s shot was kept out by Parker. The Enfield captain came close again just shy of the half-hour mark after striking the post from Gebrai’s cross. Gebrai almost scored a goal of his own on 35 minutes but was unable to beat the goalkeeper.

With five minutes left of the first half, Grosvenor was unlucky not to have scored as his close-range effort was blocked. On the stroke of half-time, however, the E’s were awarded a penalty. Johnson stepped up and just like he did last week against Ilford, converted the resulting spot kick to double Enfield’s lead.

The home side started the second half how they ended the firstas Danny Norton scored to make it 3-0. Conway’s free-kick on the edge of the area fell to the midfielder, who prodded home from inside the six-yard box. With an hour gone, Gebrai nearly added a fourth for the E’s, but Parker was down to make the save from close range.

However, seven minutes later, Gebrai finally got his goal. Johnson’s corner was delivered into the middle and the forward was in the right place at the right time to slot home.Enfield were awarded a second penalty with 18 minutes to go following a handball, but Kehinde saw his penalty saved with Parker going the right way.

As the match headed towards the closing stages, the E’s added a fifth goal. Alex Warman found space inside the penalty area before setting up Dwade James, who made the impact off the bench and scored to continue his goalscoring run. It didn’t take long for Enfield to score another as Norton netted his second of the afternoon with a fine finish.

Norton almost completed his hat-trick with five minutes to go after Warman’s corner fell into the midfielder’s path, who flicked the ball over the bar. Nonetheless, it was still a convincing win for the E’s, who made it 11 wins from a possible 12.