Five-star Enfield comfortably see off Hoddesdon

Enfield returned to winning ways following an emphatic victory over Hoddesdon. The home side went in front in the first half as Luke Wilson headed home for his first of the season. Shortly after, the E’s doubled their advantage thanks to a header from Benji Crilley to put them 2-0 in front at the break.

Not long after the restart and Alex Warman added a third for Enfield following a superb overhead kick. The E’s continued to be a threat in front of goal and made it 4-0 later in the second half through Olly Miles. Towards the closing stages of the match, Ryan Ramsay capped off the win for the E’s on what was a fine afternoon.

Seven minutes into proceedings and the hosts were close to breaking the deadlock. Louie Johnson capitalised on some poor defending from Hoddesdon as he fed Dwade James through on goal. However, his attempt was well saved by Alex Reed.

Not long later, Enfield had another opportunity to take the lead. Miles crossed the ball towards an unmarked Johnson, but Reed was again on hand to make a save. The home side continued to pose a threat as Warman’s corner fell to Crilley, whose header was cleared off the line.

Meanwhile, up the other end, Hoddesdon had their first real attempt on goal. With 27 minutes played, Charlie Hannam’sacrobatic attempt was comfortable for ‘keeper James Bransgrove. A few minutes later the away side came close again, but Ethan Rookard’s long range effort was collected with ease by Bransgrove.

However, in the 32nd minute, the home side at last made the breakthrough. David Cowley delivered in the free kick for the hosts as centre-back Wilson pounced to head home. His first goal for the club made it Enfield 1-0 Hoddesdon.

Three minutes later and it got even better for the E’s. The corner from Warman was put into the penalty area as the ball fell to Crilley, who headed in from close range. It was once again another set piece resulting in another goal as Crilleynetted his first of the season.

The E’s came close to putting the game beyond doubt on the stroke of half-time. Miles was played through on goal as he beat the offside trap before striking wide of the target. Despite that missed opportunity, the home side had a two-goal advantage at the break.

Seven minutes after the restart and Enfield made it three. The throw-in by Crilley was headed into the path of Warman, whose spectacular bicycle kick found the top right corner. A quite outstanding finish from the midfielder as the three points were set to be going Enfield’s way.

With nearly an hour played, the hosts came close to adding a fourth. The ball was played through to Miles as he roundedReed before his attempt came back off the post. Shortly after,the E’s broke away on the counterattack as Cowley played the ball to Johnson though his shot was kept out by Reed.

However, on 72 minutes, Enfield added a fourth. A brilliant pass from James fell to Miles as he got past defender Jack Riddle before slotting into the bottom corner. The forward at last found his name on the scoresheet having missed multiple opportunities beforehand.

Despite being 4-0 ahead, the home side showed no signs of slowing down. James almost added to the lead though his attempt hit the side netting. As the match headed into the closing stages, Ryan Ramsay came off the bench to make it 5-0. Goalkeeper Reed attempted to clear the ball short as the substitute intercepted before slotting into an empty net.

In the end, the match finished 5-0 as the E’s picked up their biggest win of the season. The three points moves Enfield up to 11th in the table with 16 points.