E’s end brilliant season in style with comprehensive victory

Enfield brought the curtain down on a memorable campaign as they defeated White Ensign 4-1 to finish the season on 92 points. Samrai Gebrai opened the scoring for the E’s before Gavin Cockman added a second. Just minutes after the restart, Kieran Bishop made it 3-0 with Luke Hirst rounding off the scoring. Callum Farris pulled one back for Ensign, but it did very little to dampen the mood.

Solomon Ofori almost gave Enfield the perfect start with under a minute played. The ball was played out wide to the forward, who made a run into the penalty area before seeing his shot saved by Luis Shamshoum. The home side were very much on top in the opening exchanges as Junior Mubiayi’s pass fell to Samrai Gebrai, whose strike was saved.

However, Gebrai wasn’t to be denied again as just a minute later, he put the E’s in front. Louie Johnson’s looping ball fell kindly to Gebrai, who beat the offside trap before slotting home. Meanwhile, up the other end, White Ensign threatened for the first time and nearly levelled through Ethan Evison, whose long-range strike was well saved by Jarvis Monk.

Midway through the first half, Alfie Mason delivered the ball into the middle which fell to Johnson, whose shot was wide of the target. Enfield continued to dominate and moments later, doubled their advantage. A brilliant through ball from Johnson set away Cockman, who composed himself before firing home. The E’s were very much in full control of proceedings.

In the 32nd minute, Enfield almost added a third through Ofori, who made a dazzling run into the box, but his effort was kept out by Shamshoum. Three minutes before the break, Gebrai crossed the ball into Johnson’s path, whose effort whistled wide of the post. In the closing stage, Cockman came close to scoring his second of the game in stunning fashion, but his volley was off-target.

The champions went in at the break two goals to the good and were very much on course to end the season with three points. It got even better for Enfield just four minutes into the second half as substitute Kieran Bishop added a third. Mason’s cross on the left hand side reached Bishop at the backpost, who scored with a powerful drive. With almost an hour gone, Enfield almost made it four with Bishop involved again this time crossing to Luke Hirst but the forward’s effort sailed over the bar.

However, Hirst made amends just minutes later. Gebrai delivered in a perfect cross to Hirst in the middle, who was in the right place at the right time to slot home. A fine finish from a striker in red hot form. White Ensign pulled one back with just two minutes to go as Josh McFaull’s cross was headed home by Callum Farris.

The goal from Ensign had very little difference on the outcome though as Enfield ran out 4-1 winners in a brilliant performance from the champions. The result meant the E’s picked up their 30th league win of the season to finish on an impressive 92 points and most importantly win promotion to step four.