E’s comfortably defeat Newham to continue perfect start

Enfield made it three wins from three in the Essex Senior League with an emphatic 4-1 victory over Athletic Newham. Reece Conway gave the home side the lead before Anderson Baro levelled for the visitors before half time. However, in the second half, goals from Danny Norton, Dwade James and Jack Grosvenor ensured victory for the E’s.

Jamie Cureton made four changes from Saturday’s FA Vase win against Hadleigh United. Jack Cousins, Usman Adeniji and Jeffrey Cobblah all dropped to the bench while Alex Warman was out through injury. Coming in to replace them was Nnamdi Harold-Egole, Alfie Mason, Samrai Gebrai and Reece Conway for his first start of the season.

The E’s almost made the perfect start to the game with just under a minute played after Ayo Odukoya headed wide from Louie Johnson’s free-kick. Enfield kept up their good start and threatened once again. Gebrai picked out Norton inside the Newham penalty area before setting up Harold-Egole, whose shot was comfortable for the goalkeeper.

Meanwhile, up the other end, Athletic Newham threatened for the first time. Andy Greenslade played the ball down the line to Baro, who mistimed his cross. However, midway through the first half, Enfield almost broke the deadlock. Odukoya’s powerful effort was saved by Wilkinson Boateng before seeing the rebound cleared.

The hosts continued their good start and came close again shortly after. Grosvenor tried his luck from distance before the ball fell to Conway, who struck off-target. Conway was not to be denied though as ten minutes later, Johnson’s free kick was cleared into the path of the E’s captain, whose first-time effort found its way into the back of the net.

Conway almost scored a second just before the break but was unable to double his side’s advantage. However, in the closing moments of the first half, Enfield were dealt a blow as Newham equalised. Baro latched onto the loose ball on the edge of the area before striking his effort in off the post.

Two minutes into the restart and the away side came close to taking the lead. However, Richard Kone, who scored twice in the corresponding fixture last season, was unable to do the same this time round. Newham were looking the much better side in the second half but on 68 minutes, Enfield regained the lead. Johnson’s free kick fell perfectly into the path of Norton, who headed home for his second of the campaign.

It soon got even better for the home side as just two minutes later, the E’s made it 3-1. Gebrai played a perfectly timed cross into the middle towards substitute Dwade James leaving him to head home and get off the mark for the season. Enfield were not done there though. Johnson’s corner fell to Tyler Corlett at the backpost before being finished off by Grosvenor to cap off a perfect night for the hosts.

Enfield nearly added a fifth in the closing stages after James played through fellow substitute Cobblah but his shot deflected off-target. Nonetheless, despite a nervy start to the second half, the result proved to be a comprehensive one for the E’s, who moved to the top of the table.

Line-up: Bransgrove (GK); Corlett, Grosvenor, Mason; Harold-Egole, Coley, Norton, Conway (capt), Gebrai; Odukoya, L. Johnson

Subs: James (for Harold-Egole, 66’), Cobblah (for Gebrai, 75’), Cousins (for Johnson, 81’), Greene (for Odukoya, 81’), Adeniji (for Coley, 81’)

Goals: Conway (36’), Norton (68’), James (70’), Grosvenor (79’)