Enfield kicked off 2022 in style as they saw off a youthful Saffron Walden side 4-0 in the Errington Cup. Samrai Gebrai opened the scoring for the E’s early on before Dwade James swiftly converted from the penalty spot to put the home side in a commanding position.

Shortly after, Alex Warman added a third for Enfield before James made it 4-0 before half-time. There were no further goals in the second half but the damage had already been done in the first with the E’s advancing to the next round of the cup.

Enfield came into this game in good form, having ended the year by winning back-to-back league fixtures against Southend Manor and Woodford Town. Meanwhile, as for Walden, the Bloods had their minds set on Saturday’s FA Vase tie against Loughborough Students and for that reason, fieldeda side involving both under-18s and reserve players.

With just two minutes on the clock, the first effort of the game fell to Walden, but Jordan Fossey’s shot was well off-target. However, in the tenth minute of the game, the home side unsurprisingly broke the deadlock. Following an excellent team move, Warman slid the ball into Gebrai, who applied a superb finish into the roof of the net to make it 1-0.

Despite the inexperienced Walden side, the players involved were making a very good account of themselves. Ruemu Abutoh broke away on the counterattack for the Bloods before attempting to strike the ball across goal. However, no one was able to latch onto the end of the cross.

It didn’t take long for Enfield to double their advantage though as they were awarded a penalty after Gebrai was brought down inside the area. James stepped up from 12 yards as he dispatched of the spot kick for 2-0. Seven minutes later, the hosts added a third as the ball fell to Warman, who struck a low driven effort into the bottom left corner.

It was very much proving to be a dominant display from the E’s, and they were on course to progress to the next round of the Errington Cup. With eight minutes before the break, James almost made it 4-0 to the E’s, but his audacious volley was put wide of the target. Meanwhile, with one minute to go before half-time, Walden had a rare chance on goal as Matt Baxter’s free kick was inches over the bar.

However, just before the break, Enfield soon added a fourth. Defender Tyler Corlett tried his luck from distance but saw his shot blocked before James latched onto the loose ball who slotted home to score his 25th goal of the season. It proved to be a comfortable half from the E’s, who were 4-0 ahead at the break.

Despite trailing 4-0, Saffron Walden were still giving themselves a fighting chance and came close to pulling one back. Jadon Keough-Gibbs crossed the ball into the middle towards Abutoh but his header was well wide. Moments after, Fossey found space in the area for a shot, but James Bransgrove was down to deny him.

Meanwhile, with 20 minutes to go, the home side came close to making it 5-0. Bransgrove’s clearance fell into the path of Louie Johnson as he capitalised on a slip before seeing his attempt deflect into the arms of James Askew. Five minutes later, Johnson had another opportunity, but his curling effort was inches off-target.

As the game headed towards the closing stages, the E’s continued to push for a fifth goal. George Essuman played a great ball through to Johnson, but the forward’s shot was kept out by Askew. The match ended 4-0 to the home side with the game having been wrapped up in the first half but nonetheless, Enfield were into the next round of the cup.