Stunning comeback secures victory for Enfield in the cup

Enfield kicked off their campaign in the Peter Butcher Trophy in style after coming from two goals down to defeat Stansted 3-2. Goals from Andre Embalo and George O’Connor gave the visitors a two-goal cushion before Solomon Ofori swiftly pulled one back for the E’s. Dwade James levelled the match in the second half before an own goal from Joe Clark booked Enfield’s place in the next round.

Stansted started the match on the front foot and were unlucky not to have taken an early lead. Jack Mitchell played through Embalo but the forward’s shot deflected wide. Minutes later,Mitchell was involved again this time delivering in a free-kick towards Ash Siddik, who was denied by a superb stop from James Bransgrove.

However, it was from the resulting corner where the away side went in front. Mitchell’s delivery fell to the head of Embalo, who nodded in at the near post. Stansted soon doubled their advantage just over midway through the first half. James Baughurst played a perfectly timed pass into Mitchell, who set up O’Connor in the middle to score from close range.

Despite Stansted holding a comfortable lead, Enfield managed to find themselves a route back into the game. Alex Warman slid the ball through to the new man Ofori, who was able to slot home for his fourth goal in as many games. The home side almost equalised soon after as Ofori’s cross was met by Dwade James, but he could only head wide.

The E’s went in at the break 2-1 behind but were still very much in the tie heading into the second half. Five minutes after the restart, Stansted almost restored their two-goaladvantage, but John Clarke’s first-time strike hit the side netting. However, James got the E’s back on level terms on 54 minutes. Kieran Bishop’s shot was parried by ‘keeper James Dillon, but the forward was in the right place at the right time to prod home for 2-2.

Enfield were very much in the driving seat in the second half and came close to completing the comeback. However, Warman’s cross was put wide by Jeffrey Cobblah on the hour mark. Nine minutes later, the ball fell into the path of Nnamdi Harold-Egole inside the 18-yard box before firing just wide of the target.

The home side’s patience was finally rewarded in the 74thminute as the E’s went in front for the first time. Warman’s corner was met by Gavin Cockman before Joe Clark headed the ball into his own net to make it 3-2 to the E’s. Stansted went in search of a third goal late on as Robbie Farrell capitalised on an error from Jack Johnson, but the substitute’s effort was blocked.

James almost scored his second of the evening to seal the winafter latching onto Cockman’s cross, but his effort was straight at the goalkeeper. Nonetheless, Enfield held out forthe victory to secure their passage into the quarter-finals of the Peter Butcher Trophy where they will face a visit to either Barking or Woodford Town.