Match Report: Enfield 3-1 New Salamis

Enfield returned to winning ways in style with a comfortable 3-1 victory over New Salamis. Danny Norton gave the E’s an early lead while Wraynel Hercules levelled for the visitors in the second half. The home side restored their advantage with 20 minutes to go thanks to a Roman Campbell penalty before Samrai Gebrai secured the three points in added time.

With just six minutes on the clock, Jamie Cureton’s men got off to the perfect start. Jamie Dicks’ corner fell into the path of E’s captain Danny Norton, who headed home for 1-0. Enfield almost doubled their lead not long later as Alex Warman’s free-kick was kept out by Reuben Rabstein before Jayden Gipson headed wide from the resulting corner.

Meanwhile, up the other end, New Salamis went in search of an equaliser. Derek Asamoah’s shot deflected towards Wraynel Hercules, whose effort was comfortable for ‘keeper Jarvis Monk. However, Enfield continued to be the better side and came close again through Gipson, who saw his shot blocked before seconds later, Chris Arthur was denied by Rabstein.

New Salamis came close to levelling in the closing stages of the first half. Ezekiel Williams struck the post with his effort before Albert Adu’s shot was well saved by Monk. In the final minute of the first half, Samrai Gebrai nearly added a second though his free-kick was saved by Rabstein. Enfield went in at the break a goal to the good.

After the restart, the E’s continued to threaten after Aaron Greene found space on the edge of the area but his shot was struck over the bar. However, despite the Enfield dominance, New Salamis drew themselves level on 52 minutes to punish the home side. Panny Boxer made his way into the penalty area before setting up Hercules to fire home from close range.

Midway through the first half, Enfield were looking to retake the lead as Greene played an excellent ball towards Alfie Mason on the left, who crossed towards Gebrai but the forward could only head wide of the target. However, not long later, the home side were awarded a penalty after Gebrai was brought down inside the area. Roman Campbell stepped up and sent Rabstein the wrong way to score his first of the season.

With seven minutes to go, the E’s almost made it 3-1. A brilliant through ball from Campbell set away Gebrai but his strike was kept out by the goalkeeper. Though, deep into stoppage time, Gebrai wasn’t to be denied again. Monk’s free-kick was headed on by Campbell into the path of the forward, who slotted home to wrap up the win and much needed three points.


Enfield: Monk, Milner, Mason (Luther 81’), Warman, Gipson, Greene (Bishop 67’), Norton, Campbell, Gebrai, Arthur, Dicks (Poku 60’)

Goals: Norton (6’), Campbell (70’ PEN), Gebrai (90+4’)

Subs not used: L. Johnson, Bantick

New Salamis: Rabstein, Lambrou (Meoded 87’), Oujdi, Boxer, Gulliver, Russell, J. Williams, E. Williams (Seuhan 90’), Asamoah, Adu, Hercules (Bugyei 81’)

Goals: Hercules (52’)

Subs not used: Demetriou, Okunwobi

Attendance: 220

Man of the Match: Samrai Gebrai