Richardson at the double as Enfield move eight points clear

Enfield picked up their third win in just six days as they defeated Little Oakley 3-0. Tom Richardson opened the scoring for the E’s before Kieran Bishop netted a stunning second late in the first half. Richardson rounded off the scoring in the closing stages for his third goal in just two starts to secure the three points.

With just four minutes played, the home side created the first opportunity of the evening. Kieran Bishop’s cross was cleared to Louie Johnson on the edge of the area, but his effort was straight at goalkeeper Billy Lawlor. Meanwhile, just minutes later, Little Oakley came close to taking a surprise lead.However, Harry Mann’s strike was inches wide of the target.

The E’s unsurprisingly dominated in the opening stages and had multiple opportunities to go in front. Louie Johnson’s corner on 18 minutes fell to Tom Richardson, who headed the ball off-target before three minutes later, Solomon Ofori found space inside the penalty area but could only shoot straight at Lawlor.

However, midway through the first half, the away side almost broke the deadlock through Jordi Papple, who was unmarked at the backpost but Jarvis Monk was on hand to make a vital save. In the 29th minute, Enfield had arguably the best chanceof the half. The ball fell kindly to Danny Norton from just outside the box, whose excellent strike was well saved by Lawlor and out for a corner.

It was from that resulting corner where the home side’s patience was finally rewarded on the half-hour mark. Johnson delivered the ball into the middle towards Richardson at the backpost, whose header found its way into the back of the net.Enfield almost scored a second just minutes later but Aaron Greene’s effort was put wide.

Richardson almost scored his second of the game in the closing stages of the half but could only fire wide. However,on the stroke of half-time, Enfield doubled their advantage. Richardson headed the ball into the path of Ofori, whose strike was parried by Lawlor and fell kindly into the path of Bishop, who scored with a stunning bicycle kick.

With the final kick of the half, Greene nearly made it 3-0 to the E’s but his shot struck the post. Nonetheless, Enfield held a two-goal lead going in at the break and were in control of proceedings. However, despite trailing, Little Oakley hadprovided a threat going forward and were very much still in the game.

Three minutes into the second half, Enfield went in search of a third as Bishop crossed towards Richardson, but his header was comfortable for Lawlor. Meanwhile, the away side were looking for a route back into the game, but Garrad’s effort was straight at Monk. However, on 55 minutes, Bishop’s cross found Richardson in the middle, but his strike was well defended.

The E’s threatened once again as Norton headed wide from a corner while Little Oakley almost pulled a goal back through Dan Rowe, who headed over from Garrad’s corner. With 18 minutes to go, Enfield nearly made it 3-0 as Junior Mubiayiplayed the ball to Richardson, who turned brilliantly before sliding through Ofori, but the forward struck wide of the target. The visitors almost scored with seven minutes left to make it a nervy finish for the E’s. Garrad’s inswinging corner took Monk by surprise before being cleared off the line.

In the final minute of the game, however, Enfield wrapped up the three points. Ofori made a darting run down the right-hand side and crossed towards Richardson, who took a touch before slotting home into the bottom corner. A perfect end to a very good night of football from the E’s, who now move eight points clear at the top of the table albeit Redbridge have a game in hand.