Mason nets winning goal as Enfield come from behind

Enfield picked up their fourth victory in a row after coming from a goal down to defeat Saffron Walden 2-1. The away side broke the deadlock midway through the first half as Emmanuel Oluwole headed home. However, Louie Johnson levelled for the E’s on the stroke of half-time before Alfie Mason netted the winner 18 minutes from time to keep Enfield top of the table.

The home side started the match on the front foot and came close to taking the lead early on. Aaron Greene, on his return from injury, found space on the edge of the area before firingstraight at ‘keeper James Young. The E’s threatened a few minutes later but Jack Johnson’s header was safely into the arms of the goalkeeper.

However, with eight minutes played, Enfield were inches away from taking the lead. Greene’s curling effort almost caught out Young before hitting the post with Solomon Ofori unable to convert the rebound. Meanwhile, up the other end, Saffron Walden threatened for the first time. Tom Jelliman’s free-kick was headed on by George Powell, drawing a good save from Jarvis Monk.

Despite Enfield looking the better side, Saffron Walden went in front from the resulting corner. Jelliman was involved againas his cross fell to Emmanuel Oluwole, who jumped the highest to head home. A goal very much against the run of play. Enfield went in search of an equaliser minutes later but Greene’s effort was once again caught by Young.

The home side were very much in control despite being behind but almost drew level. Dwade James made a darting run down the near side before crossing to Greene at the backpost, whose shot was well saved by Young. The E’s did find the back of the net after Danny Norton put home Greene’s cross but the flag was up for offside.

Meanwhile, Saffron Walden almost doubled their advantage but Ryan Melaugh’s free-kick was palmed away by Monk. However, Enfield equalised in the closing stages of the first half. Greene crossed the ball towards the backpost with Louie Johnson in the right place at the right time to prod home. His fourth goal in three games for the E’s.

Eight minutes into the second half, Enfield nearly went in front. Tom Hanfrey’s corner fell to James, but the forward headed wide of the target. Midway through the second half, the home side continued to go in search of a second goal. Hanfrey’s throw-in was headed on by James into the path of Greene, whose effort was well defended.

On 72 minutes though, Enfield went in front for the first time. Johnson’s free-kick hit the wall with Hanfrey being denied on the rebound. However, the ball fell kindly to Greene, whose lofted pass was headed into the path of Alfie Mason, who scored with a stunning acrobatic effort. Enfield’s patience was finally rewarded.

With three minutes to go, the home side thought they doubled their lead after Ayo Odukoya tapped home from Johnson’s cross, but the goal was ruled out for offside. Enfield again came close to sealing the victory deep into stoppage time. Junior Mubiayi played an excellent through ball to Ofori but the forward’s shot was saved by the goalkeeper. Nonetheless, the E’s held on for all three points to maintain their five point lead at the top.