E’s cruise past Takeley to continue strong start

Enfield recorded their four win in five league games following a comfortable victory at home to Takeley. Danny Norton broke the deadlock for the home side in the first half for his fifth goal of the campaign. The E’s soon doubled their advantage after the restart courtesy of Aaron Greene which helped secure the three points.

The home side almost got off to the perfect start on twominutes after Gavin Cockman’s throw-in fell to the head of Jack Grosvenor, who headed over the bar. However, aside from that early chance, both goalkeepers were given very little to do as neither side could find the breakthrough early on.

Midway through the first half and the E’s threatened in front of goal. Kieran Bishop, who was causing Takeley problems down the right-hand side, made a darting run into the penalty area before crossing towards Louie Johnson but the forward’s effort was blocked. Four minutes later, Dwade Jamesattempted to cross into the middle but was unable to pick out Cockman.

With five minutes to go in the half, Alex Warman’s free-kick found James, whose header was saved by keeper Matt Gillwith Danny Norton unable to score on the rebound. In first half stoppage time though, the E’s at last took the lead. Warman’s corner was put home by Norton at the near post to ensure Enfield went in at half-time in front.

Early into the second half and the E’s came close to doubling their lead. Cockman crossed into the path of Aaron Greene, who struck the side netting with his effort. The hosts continued their strong start to the half and came close yet again. Johnson played through Cockman but he could only put his shot wide.

Enfield threatened once more with Tyler Corlett’s headerbeing kept out by Gill from the corner before Bishop hit the woodwork on the follow-up. However, the E’s weren’t to be denied again. With an hour gone, Johnson’s pass found Cockman before crossing into the middle towards Greene, who was there to pounce at the far post and slot home for 2-0.

The home side almost extended their advantage further, but Cockman could only head wide from Warman’s free-kick. Enfield held out for the win and returned to winning ways in the league, moving up to 4th in the table and now sit four points off the top.