Enfield picked up their first league win since the opening day after overcoming Stanway Rovers 2-0.

Jamie Cureton’s men started the game the more dominant side and came close on a few occasions. However, they soon broke the deadlock in the first half thanks to captain Reece Conway. After the restart, the E’s made it two as forward Callum Ibe found the back of the net to ensure it ended Enfield 2-0 Stanway Rovers.

With only ten seconds on the clock, Enfield almost made the perfect start as an effort from Callum Ibe was struck wide of the target. A minute later and the E’s continued to threaten very early on. Isaac Stevens played the ball to Ryan Ramsay, whose shot drew a good save out of ‘keeper Harry Aldridge.

The hosts were the much better side in the early stages and once again had opportunities to break the deadlock. On nine minutes, Stevens did well to pull the ball across goal though no one was on the end of his cross. From the resulting corner, Jack Grosvenor was unlucky not to have scored after his header looped over from Alex Warman’s delivery.

Six minutes later, Stevens came close to scoring, but his effort was hit off target. However, midway through the first half, Enfield’s dominance was at last rewarded as they made the breakthrough. Ibe put in an excellent cross into the area and despite a mix-up, the ball came to Reece Conway, who slotted home. That goal was the captain’s second of the season.

The E’s almost doubled their advantage on 33 minutes after Dwade James played a superb ball into the path of Ibe, who brought it down well before being denied by Aldridge. Meanwhile, up the other end, Stanway were close to levelling as EzequilFranchi’s deflected attempt drifted wide. The first half came to end with Jamie Cureton’s men ahead at 1-0 and very much in control of proceedings.

Nine minutes into the second half and Enfield doubled their lead. The ball was thrown into the area by Benji Crilley and after a goalmouth scramble, Ibe was there to strike home for 2-0 for his first goal in an Enfield shirt. The E’s looked well on their way to three points.

With just over an hour played, the visitors almost pulled a goal back as Joel Holder tried his luck on the edge of the area, but his attempt was inches wide. A few moments later, the home side were close to making it 3-0 after Vinny Murphy’s free kick was headed off target by Luke Wilson.

Despite leading by two goals, Enfield weren’t giving up on their search of a third goal. James’ cross found substitute Louie Johnson, but his first-time effort was collected by Aldridge. With ten minutes left, Conway almost scored his second goal of the afternoon, buthis long-range effort was hit just off-target.

Johnson almost added a third for the E’s in the closing stages as he was played through on goal, but he was denied by Aldridge. Meanwhile, the away side had a good opportunity to get back into the match. The ball came to Parvey Manduakila from outside the penalty area, but his effort was well kept out by E’s goalkeeper James Bransgrove.

That proved to be the final opportunity of the game as Enfield held out for a huge three points along with a clean sheet. The victory takes Jamie Cureton’s men up to 9th in the table though still in touching distance of 1st place. Both sides will face off once again next Saturday though this time in the FA Cup with the E’s travelling to Stanway.