Enfield kept up their slim promotion hopes with a comfortable victory at home to bottom-of-the-table Sporting Bengal. Following a goalless first half, the E’s responded thanks to goals from Alex Warman and a Louie Johnson penalty to make it four successive league victories.

The home side were close to making a perfect start to the game after just three minutes. Alex Warman, on his return to the side, delivered in the free kick towards Jack Grosvenor, whose towering header was tipped over by goalkeeper Christian Villanucci. The two combined again from the resulting corner but Grosvenor’s header was cleared off the line.

As expected, Enfield dominated the early proceedings but were unable to make the most of their opportunities. Kieran Bishop’s delivery into the middle fell to Warman, who skewed his effort wide of the target.

Seven minutes later, Warman continued to be involved but his inswinging corner was easily dealt with by the goalkeeper. However, as the half progressed, the chances dried up for both sides with neither providing much threat to each goalkeeper.

Up the other end, Sporting Bengal did very little to trouble James Bransgrove in the Enfield goal. Following numerous set pieces, the East Londoners were unable make the most of them while for the home side, they struggled to break down a stubborn Bengal defence.

With the game goalless at the break, the match was very much up for grabs for both sides, but Enfield were looking more likely to find the opening goal of the game. They almost did so on 47 minutes. Warman’s corner fell to Jack Johnson, who saw his header cleared off the line before the rebound deflected wide.

Shortly before the hour mark, the E’s threatened again. The ball fell into the path of Louie Johnson on the edge of the Bengal box whose shot was saved by Villanucci before Cureton’s follow-up effort was blocked.

However, with 25 minutes to go, Enfield at last made the all-important breakthrough. Bishop delivered in a delightful cross towards Jeffrey Cobblah at the backpost, who squared the ball to Warman, leaving the midfielder to head home with ease. A deserved lead from the E’s, whose patience finally paid off.

Following the goal, Enfield were looking to extend their advantage. Louie Johnson came close, curling his effort off-target before moments later, Jamie Cureton struck the ball well over from close range.

As the match headed into the latter stages, Enfield were awarded a penalty after Louie Johnson was brought down inside the Bengal area. Johnson stepped up from 12 yards and sent the goalkeeper the wrong way to all but secure the three points for the home side.

Enfield almost added a third late on after Jack Cousin’s free kick came to Grosvenor, whose header was straight into the path of Villanucci. Meanwhile, deep into added time, Bishop’s cross came to Cureton, but the forward headed just wide. It didn’t matter though as the E’s ran out 2-0 winners to go within eight points of Redbridge in 2nd place.