Enfield kick-off FA Vase campaign with 2-0 win over Hadleigh United

Ayo Odukoya’s brace helped the E’s book their place in the second qualifying round of the FA Vase with a 2-0 victory at home to Hadleigh. Following a goalless first half, the home side broke the deadlock with two goals within ten second half minutes. The result means Enfield will host Hackey Wick in the next round of the Vase.

With just two minutes on the clock, Hadleigh had an early opportunity on goal after John Sands crossed to Ethan Mayhew, whose was denied by James Bransgrove. Meanwhile, eight minutes late, Enfield threatened with Louie Johnson playing through Danny Norton, but the midfielder was unable to hit the target.

The E’s were beginning to get a foot hold in the game and following a couple of half-chances, Jack Cousins first time strike was hit just over the bar. However, with 15 minutes played, Jamie Cureton’s men had a huge chance to take the lead as Johnson slid through Odukoya, who rounded ‘keeper Nick Punter before seeing his shot headed off the line.

The home side were very much the better side in the first half and were unlucky not to have scored towards the closing stages of the half. Alex Warman’s free-kick fell to Norton but his header deflected out for a corner. The resulting set piece came to no avail though with Tyler Corlett’s header failing to trouble the goalkeeper.

Shortly before the break, Jeffrey Cobblah made a darting run down the left-hand side and crossed towards Odukoya, whose dinked effort came back off the post. Meanwhile, up the other end, Hadleigh had a rare sight of goal through Harry Brown but the forward was unable to test Bransgrove in the Enfield net.

Five minutes after the restart and it was the away side who made the better start and nearly took the lead. However, Mayhew’s attempt deflected wide with the resulting corner from Sam Mills being tipped over by the goalkeeper.However, on 57 minutes, Enfield at last made the breakthrough. Cobblah crossed into the middle towards Odukoya, who pounced to head home past the goalkeeper.

Midway through the second half and Enfield almost doubled their advantage with Norton heading wide from Ayrton Coley’s cross. Moments later though and the E’s made it two. The ball was played down the line to Johnson, who beat the offside trap before setting up Odukoya to roll the ball into an empty net for his second of the game.

Deep into added time and substitute Reece Conway had a go from distance but Punter was there to make a comfortable save. Cobblah came close to scoring a third moments later but again Punter was there to keep him out. Despite that, it proved to be a comprehensive victory for the E’s.

Enfield: Bransgrove (GK), Coley, Warman (for Conway 45’), Grosvenor, L. Johnson, Cousins (for Harold-Egole 68’), Adeniji, Odukoya, Cobblah, Corlett, Norton (for Greene 82’)