Disappointing performance sees Enfield beaten by Seasiders

Enfield fell to their third league defeat of the season following a 2-1 loss at home to Clacton. Neither side were able to make the breakthrough in the first half but after the restart, it was the away side who broke the deadlock. Charlie Collis slotted home to put Clacton 1-0 in front.

Not long later, the Seasiders were awarded a penalty following a foul in the area. Jordan Lartey stepped up for the visitors and scored to double his sides advantage. However, with five minutes to go, the E’s pulled a goal back thanks to Dwade James but it wasn’t enough as Clacton came away with all three points.

In the opening stages of the first half, Enfield looked the more threatening in front of goal. Forward Olly Miles squared the ball to Dwade James, whose effort was easy for the goalkeeper before not long after an attempt by the captain Reece Conway was inches wide of the target.

Meanwhile, up the other end, Clacton had their first attempt of the evening as Kevin Coyle’s first-time strike was put over. Midway through the first half, the Seasiders came close to breaking the deadlock. Jordan Lartey crossed the ball into the path of Mekhi McKenzie, who saw his shot cannon off the post.

With 28 minutes on the clock, the home side came very close to scoring. David Cowley played the corner short to Alex Warman, but the midfielder’s curling effort was headed off the line. Eight minutes later, the E’s had another opportunity. James played the ball through to Miles, but the forward could only skew his attempt wide.

Just before the break, the home side again came close. The ball was thrown into the area by Benji Crilley towards the path of Luke Wilson, but the defender’s header was well saved by Michael Corderoy. Despite the numerous opportunities created by Enfield, the score at half-time was 0-0 with both themselves and Clacton still very much in the contest.

Nine minutes after the restart, the E’s had another chance after Ryan Ramsay pulled the ball across to James, but the striker’s effort was blocked. However, on 55 minutes, it was to be Clacton that made the all-important breakthrough. Jenson Mulqueen played a wonderfully weighted pass into Charlie Collis as he fired into the roof of the net.

Shortly after conceding, the home side were determined to get back into proceedings and almost did so as Conway’s volley was inches wide of the target. With 63 minutes gone, Clacton were awarded what looked a controversial penalty after a foul that looked outside the area. Nonetheless, Jordon Lartey stepped up and sent James Brasngrove the wrong way to make it 2-0.

As the game wore on, the home side struggled to get back into the game and did very little to threaten Corderoy in the Clacton goal. With 13 minutes to go, Warman’s free-kick was cleared into the path of Conway, who shot well off-target which very much summed up Enfield’s night in front of goal.

Meanwhile, the away side almost added a third after McKenzie’s attempt was well kept out by Bransgrove. However, in the 85th minute, Enfield pulled a goal back to give themselves a lifeline. A threatening effort from Warman crashed back off the crossbar before the ball fell kindly to James, who headed in from close range to half the deficit.

In the final minute of the game, the away side were reduced to ten men following a challenge that resulted in a second yellow card. The E’s almost equalised deep into added time after substitute Callum Ibe struck the ball over which proved to be the final opportunity for the E’s.

In the end, Clacton held out the victory to record their seventh win of the season to leave them 6th in the table. Meanwhile, for Enfield, it was a bad day at the office as they now sit in 14th following that loss. The E’s are set to have a ten-day break from action where their next match will be at home to Hoddesdon Town on the 2nd of October.