Late Johnson strike hands Enfield crucial victory

Enfield picked up a huge three points in the title race with a 1-0 victory over Romford courtesy of a late winner from Louie Johnson. The home side dominated the match but were frustrated by a stubborn Romford defence. However,three minutes from time, Johnson scored the winning goal as Enfield restored their five-point lead at the top.

The E’s wasted no time in their search for the opening goalbut Samrai Gebrai’s third-minute free-kick hit the wall before going out for a corner. From the resulting set piece, the ball fell to Gebrai on the edge of the area, but his effort was once again blocked. Seven minutes later, Aaron Greene delivered the ball into the middle which was headed over by Johnson.

Enfield continued to threaten in the early stages as Solomon Ofori made a darting run down the left-hand side before crossing towards Johnson, who effort was straight at Jake Anderson. Minutes later, Gebrai tried his luck from distance,but his strike was off-target. Meanwhile, up the other end, Romford had a rare opportunity on goal through Charlie Morris, who could only fire wide.

With just over half-an-hour played, the home side came close to opening the scoring. Johnson played an excellent through ball to Greene, whose effort was struck wide. Moments later, Gebrai made a wonderful solo run towards goal before his shot sailed over the bar. Four minutes before the break, the E’s were denied again. Greene crossed towards Luke Hirst in the middle before the ball fell to Johnson, whose attempt was blocked on the goalline.

The score was level at half time with Enfield creatingnumerous chances in front of goal but had been unable to break the deadlock. Eight minutes into the restart, Greene set up Gebrai on the edge of the box from the free-kick before striking the ball off-target. Meanwhile, the visitors almost scored on the hour mark, but Finlay Dorell’s curling effort was saved by Monk. From the resulting corner, the ball was struck over by Alberto Pinto.

Midway through the second half, Enfield came close to scoring once again with Alfie Mason’s cross falling to Gebrai, who headed wide of the target. Romford almost scored with eight minutes to go after Hassan Nalbant made a brilliant run towards goal, before hitting the side netting from a tight angle.

Time was running out for Enfield to conjure up one last opportunity and score a potential winning goal. However, with three minutes to go, the home side’s patience was finally rewarded. Ofori sprinted down the wing before picking out Louie Johnson in the middle, whose powerful strike found its way into the back of the net. A huge sigh of relief for the E’s.

Despite a nervy finish, Enfield held on for an important three points despite a frustrating afternoon. However, after the winning goal from Johnson, Enfield move five points clear at the top of the table with eight games to go.