Last minute Walden goal breaks Enfield hearts

Enfield fell to their second defeat in three league matches following a 1-0 defeat at home to Saffron Walden.

Both sides struggled to create many opportunities in the first half as it was goalless going in at the break. However, five minutes into the second half, the hosts were reduced to ten men after Vinny Murphy was shown a straight red card. The E’s did have chances to score but in the dying embers, the Bloods stole all three points thanks to a Jake Noble wonder strike.

In the opening stages of the game, neither side were able to threaten much in front of goal. However, the first opportunity of the match fell to the away side on 15 minutes. George Pullen delivered in the free kick towards James Solkhom, who headed the ball back across goal which was then cleared away.  Not long later, Craig Calver came close to givingWalden the lead as his curling effort almost caught out James Bransgrove. However, his attempt drifted wide of the target.

Meanwhile, up the other end, the home side came close to breaking the deadlock after Dwade James’ effort was hit just over the bar. The Bloods soon continued to threaten in front of goal though as Michael Toner’s free kick fell to Solkhom, who was denied by Bransgrove. A minute before the break though and Jamie Cureton’s men had arguably the biggest chance of the first half.

Alex Warman delivered in a brilliant cross towards the path of Reece Conway, but the E’s captain couldn’t find the back of the net. As the first half came to end, Walden nearly made it 1-0. Pullen delivered in the corner which was pushed away by Bransgrove. The ball soon came back to the number 9 as his effort drew a good saved out of the E’s shot stopper. The first half soon ended with the score at 0-0.

Five minutes into the second half and Enfield were dealt a huge blow after Vinny Murphy was sent off. The E’s defender looked to have won the ball from a sliding challenge with Solkhom before catching the Walden man on the follow through. It looked an undeserved red card, but Murphy was off, and Enfield were reduced to ten men.

Despite having a man down, the home side had a chance to go in front as Callum Ibe spotted James in the middle, whose effort was easy for ‘keeper James Young. With 12 minutes to go, the E’s came close again as Warman’s free kick fell to Luke Wilson but his header struck the side netting.

Meanwhile, Saffron Walden continued to search for a goal themselves but James Crane’s effort from distance was hit just off-target. However, the Bloods missed a big opportunity to break the deadlock as the ball was crossed towards Calver, who from close range, hit the post from his attempt. A huge let off for Enfield. Deep into stoppage time though and the away side scored what looked to be the games winning goal. Jake Noble had a go from outside the area as his attempt found the top right corner and into the back of the net.

That goal from Noble ended up being the winner as Walden picked up all three points and recorded back-to-back league victories. Meanwhile for Enfield, it’s just three points out of a possible nine to leave them sitting in mid-table. However, Jamie Cureton’s men will be looking to return to winning ways on Saturday as they host Stanway Rovers.